[Gluster-users] DHT vs LVM for multiple bricks on a server

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Fri Jan 11 17:18:52 UTC 2013

On 01/11/2013 12:00 PM, Gaurav P wrote:
> Couldn't find the discussion you referenced in the irc logs going even a month
> back :-(

My usual answer is: it depends.  I've seen cases where using each disk as a
separate brick performed better, and I've seen cases where combining them via
LVM performed better.  There doesn't even seem to be a simple pattern to which
will be faster for which workloads, though I'd say brick-per-disk probably wins
slightly more often than not.  It will also have better failure characteristics
than RAID0 - a point also brought up recently by the HDFS folks.

http://hortonworks.com/blog/why-not-raid-0-its-about-time-and-snowflakes/

They're characteristically wrong about having to wait for the slowest (might be
true for their specific workload but not for most others as would be the case
for RAID1) but make some other good points.

You also bring up the issue of bricks needing to be the same size.  This is
kind of true right now.  It won't fail completely, but it also won't distribute
files properly and that can lead to premature ENOSPC.  However, I expect that
to be addressed fairly soon so you might want to consider that as you make your
longer-term plans.