[Gluster-users] DHT vs LVM for multiple bricks on a server

Gaurav P gaurav.lists+gluster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 01:13:56 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've been reading up on GlusterFS and I'm looking for best practices around
using multiple disks as bricks in servers that will be part of a replicated
volume.

Say I start with a single disk each in two servers (/dev/sda1 mounted at /a)

gluster volume create test-volume replica 2 transport tcp server1:/a server2:/a

Then I add a second disk in each server (/dev/sdb1 mounted at /b)

gluster volume add-brick test-volume replica 2 transport tcp
server1:/b server2:/b

With this (after rebalancing), am I correct in understanding that I will
have a distributed replicated volume with GlusterFS providing the
equivalent of RAID1+0 for data on my volume.

Now as I understand, I will be restricted to adding disks (bricks) of the
same size whenever I need to extend the volume. What are the pros/cons of
instead using LVM to provide a single LV on each server and extending the
LV and filesystem each time I add additional storage? The other benefit to
LVM being the ability to take snapshots. The one downside I foresee is that
a concatenated LV will not use the second PV (disk) till the first PV is
full, though I could perhaps stripe?

More questions to follow, but I'm trying to think through this before I get
started with my first deployment.

TIA
Gaurav