[Gluster-users] how well will this work

Shawn Heisey gluster at elyograg.org
Sun Jan 6 17:36:22 UTC 2013

On 1/2/2013 4:01 AM, Brian Candler wrote:
> Aside: what is the reason for creating four multiple logical volumes/bricks
> on the same node, and then combining them together using gluster
> distribution?  Also, why are you combining all your disks into a single
> volume group (clustervg), but then allocating each logical volume from only
> a single disk within that VG?

I've got a deployment I'm working on where each server has twelve 4TB
drives.  I've split that into two 6-drive RAID5 arrays, each of which is
a PV/VG of 20TB, using LVM.  Then I have split that into four 5TB
logical volumes, each of which is used as a glusterfs brick.

I have chosen this particular brick size for compatibility with other
physical drive sizes.  Once we have the gluster volume up and running,
we'll be able to free up some 2TB drives from other storage devices.
Those drives will be used in future servers to be added to the gluster
volume(s).  With similar 12-bay hardware and two RAID5 arrays per
server, this 5TB brick size will work with any size drive that is a
multiple of 1TB.

Thanks,
Shawn