[Gluster-users] how well will this work

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Wed Jan 2 11:01:49 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 10:14:19AM -0800, Joe Julian wrote:
> In my configuration, 1 server has 4 drives (well, 5, but one's the
> OS). Each drive has one gpt partition. I create an lvm volume group
> that holds all four huge partitions. For any one GlusterFS volume I
> create 4 lvm logical volumes:
>
> lvcreate -n a_vmimages clustervg /dev/sda1
> lvcreate -n b_vmimages clustervg /dev/sdb1
> lvcreate -n c_vmimages clustervg /dev/sdc1
> lvcreate -n d_vmimages clustervg /dev/sdd1
>
> then format them xfs and (I) mount them under
> /data/glusterfs/vmimages/{a,b,c,d}. These four lvm partitions are
> bricks for the new GlusterFS volume.
>
> As glusterbot would say if asked for the glossary:
> >A "server" hosts "bricks" (ie. server1:/foo) which belong to a
> >"volume"  which is accessed from a "client".
>
> My volume would then look like
> gluster volume create replica 3
> server{1,2,3}:/data/glusterfs/vmimages/a/brick
> server{1,2,3}:/data/glusterfs/vmimages/b/brick
> server{1,2,3}:/data/glusterfs/vmimages/c/brick
> server{1,2,3}:/data/glusterfs/vmimages/d/brick

Aside: what is the reason for creating four multiple logical volumes/bricks
on the same node, and then combining them together using gluster
distribution?  Also, why are you combining all your disks into a single
volume group (clustervg), but then allocating each logical volume from only
a single disk within that VG?

Snapshots perhaps?

Regards,

Brian.