[Gluster-users] MacOSX Finder performance woes

Daniel Mons daemons at kanuka.com.au
Tue Feb 5 01:28:46 UTC 2013

Hi Adam,

Sadly the disabling of writing out .DS_Store and other resource-fork type
files does nothing to assist.  The problem is exactly as you describe it -
the negative lookup via Finder on directory reads, which happens regardless
whether or not the client has been told to disabled writing of these files.

As it stands, performance over Netatalk is fine, with .AppleDouble database
files dealing with the resource forks.  The downside is that I can't run
Netatalk on every node in the cluster like I can with Samba or NFS, so it
forces all Mac traffic through one node, killing off any elegant attempt to
distribute bandwidth.  Still, it's a workaround for now until negative
lookup caching can be implemented, or Finder's default behavior is fixed.
(And asking Apple to fix Finder seems to be a dead end, given the grief I
see people having with Finder and NFS shares).

For now, in a 6 node cluster, I have MacOSX clients using AFP to Netatalk
on the first node only, and round-robin DNS distributing Windows/Samba
clients and Legacy/NFS clients across the other five nodes.  Modern Linux
clients happily use FUSE+GlusterFS, and that configuration is getting me
through production for now.

-Dan