[Gluster-users] rebalance and its alternatives

Hans Lambermont hans at shapeways.com
Fri Apr 26 12:04:26 UTC 2013

Hi Vijay,

Vijay Bellur wrote on 20130426:
> Earlier to GlusterFS 3.3, rebalance always used to happen in two phases:
>
> Phase1: Scan all directories and perform layout (hash range) adjustments.
>
> Phase2: Perform data migration.
>
> This behavior has been improved with 3.3 so that data migration
> happens along with directory layout adjustment. This will also avoid
> an additional crawl of the entire volume which can be expensive.
> There have been additional improvements with rebalancing in 3.3 to
> optimize the amount of data which needs to be migrated.

Thanks, that's good to know !

> The patch for avoiding file descriptor leak has been merged today in
> release-3.3.

Yes, I'm about to test it.

> I would be interested to know if you observe 956245 from the head of
> release-3.3 again.

That's a bug on my side. When I compile from release-3.3 branch git I
get 3.3git as glusterfs version and I wanted a reminder where exactly on
the release-3.3 branch I was. I picked the head from master as version
name and should have used head of the branch instead. It would be nice
if the buildsystem did something like this, 3.3git it too vague.

regards,
   Hans Lambermont
--
Hans Lambermont | Senior Architect