[Gluster-users] Re-balancing after expansion

Jon Tegner tegner at renget.se
Fri Apr 26 09:42:19 UTC 2013

Hi, I have a system using 3.2.6-1, running ext4. I recently expanded the
system from 4 to 5 servers. I have NOT yet done re-balancing of the
system - so at the moment most of the writing of new files goes to the
new server.

My impression is that it would be possible to re balance while the
system is in use, is this correct? Or are there any gotchas involved in
this? The servers consist of about 11 TB each, approximately how long
time would a re-balance take (we are using RDMA here, and assuming four
are full and one is empty)?

Thanks,

/jon