[Gluster-users] Adding Node to Replication

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Thu Apr 18 14:03:38 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm trying to get a new gluster3 behaving like my old gluster2. This
message is inspired by messages and postings such as these ones:

-
http://prefetch.net/blog/index.php/2011/11/27/some-interesting-insights-on-the-gluster-replicated-volume-replica-value/

- http://gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2011-February/006598.html

The authors of the above are taking this from the approach that gluster
can't handle adding single nodes as needed. However, in my case, I have
this working perfectly on gluster2, and want to replicate the same setup
on gluster3.

Here is a quick rundown of the setup:
- Host alpha has a directory only it writes to at /srv/clusterfs
- The gluster on each host is at /mnt/clusterfs
- alpha also has the gluster mounted on /mnt/clusterfs

So, a really simple setup, just replication for having the data
available locally on each server. It replaced an old rsync cron job
years ago.

The glusterfs.vol for gluster2 in this setup looks like this:

volume alpha
   type protocol/client
   option transport-type tcp
   option remote-host 192.168.1.26
   option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

volume nu
   type protocol/client
   option transport-type tcp
   option remote-host 192.168.1.22
   option remote-subvolume brick
end-volume

(...)

volume replicate
   type cluster/replicate
   subvolumes alpha nu xi omicron sigma
end-volume

The glsuterfsd.vol on alpha has, amongst other things, this in it:

volume posix
         type storage/posix
         option directory /srv/clusterfs
         option mandate-attribute no
end-volume

As needed, a new volume was added when a host was added, and this has
been working splendidly for about four years.

To recap:
- alpha:/srv/clusterfs <-- where the files are
- alpha|beta|gamma:/mnt/clusterfs <-- where the files replicate

How can I get the same setup with gluster3? IS there a volume type
"storage/posix"? The nfs-server.vol file looks strikingly similar to the
above, I'm guessing that's not the main config. I really don't want to

Many thanks,
--Pat