[Gluster-users] Removing brick from replicated

Eyal Marantenboim eyal at theserverteam.com
Mon Apr 15 08:11:07 UTC 2013

Hi,

We have a setup of 4 nodes/bricks in a replicated setup:

Number of Bricks: 1 x 4 = 4
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: vmhost2:/exports/1
Brick2: vmhost3:/exports/1
Brick3: vmhost5:/exports/1
Brick4: vmhost6:/exports/1

I'm trying to remove one of them (vmhost5):
gluster> volume remove-brick images_1 replica 3 vmhost5:/exports/1 start
Remove Brick start unsuccessful

gluster> volume remove-brick images_1 replica 3 vmhost5:/exports/1 status
Volume images_1 is not a distribute volume or contains only 1 brick.
Not performing rebalance

gluster> volume info images_1
Volume Name: images_1
Type: Distributed-Replicate
Volume ID: 30c9c2d8-94c9-4b59-b647-0dc593d903d3
Number of Bricks: 1 x 3 = 4
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: vmhost2:/exports/1
Brick2: vmhost3:/exports/1
Brick3: vmhost5:/exports/1
Brick4: vmhost6:/exports/1

A few questions that hopefully someone can help me:

Why does it say "Type: Distributed-Replicate" and "Number of Bricks 1 x 3 =
4" if ,after executing the "remove-brick" command, I got: unsuccessful

What am I doing wrong? :)

Thanks!