[Gluster-users] Performance for KVM images (qcow)

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning at lanning.cc
Tue Apr 9 10:13:10 UTC 2013

On 04/09/13 01:17, Eyal Marantenboim wrote:
> Hi Bryan,
>
> We have 1G nics on all our servers.
> Do you think that changing our design to distribute-replicate will
> improve the performance?
>
> Anything in the gluster performance settings that you think I should change?

With GlusterFS, almost all the processing is in the client side.  This
includes replication.  So, when you have "replica 4", the client will be
duplicating all transactions 4 times, synchronously.  Your 1G ethernet
just became 256M.

I don't know how much "in production" your environment is.  You might
want to try the 3.4 beta with the qemu glusterfs driver (using libgfapi.so).

You should get a good speed bump, by bypassing the FUSE interface.

Also look into the write-behind and read caching translators for the
volume itself.

--
Mr. Flibble
King of the Potato People