[Gluster-users] NASA uses gluster..

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 13:15:55 UTC 2012

On 10/26/2012 02:48 AM, Robert Klemme wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Paul Simpson <paul at realisestudio.com> wrote:
>> thought this might be of interest to you all out there:
>>
>> http://opensource.com/life/12/10/NASA-achieves-data-goals-Mars-rover-open-source-software
>
> Hm...  Too much marketing, too few details.  What does NASA use GlusterFS for?

Well, I'd wager they use it for pretty much anything and everything you
can use storage for.

I spent six years at NASA/JPL, nearly four those years developing
software for the DSN SFOC NOCC-RT¹, and a bit for Galileo S-Band², among
others; none of those nearly as exciting as the Curiosity rover though.

Yes, certainly they use it for science data like images, but also the
rest of the scientific data that's not images. Add in non-science data
like spacecraft and rover telemetry, telemetry from all the ground-based
equipment — antennae, receivers, exciters (a.k.a. transmitters), and
etc. And perhaps even just storage for mundane things like software
developers home dirs. JPL does lots of software development.

¹Deep Space Network, Space Flight Operations Center, Network Operations
Command and Control-Real Time.
²Galileo's big high gain K-band dish antenna for high bandwidth
downloads didn't open. They compressed the mission data and sent it from
the low gain S-band and used intensive signal processing on the ground
to pull the data out. They ended up collecting more data than they
originally planned or expected to get from the K-band radio.

--

Kaleb