[Gluster-users] Problems with striped-replicated volumes on 3.3.1

Kushnir, Michael (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C] michael.kushnir at nih.gov
Tue Oct 23 17:35:56 UTC 2012

Good afternoon,

I am playing around with GlusterFS 3.1 in CentOS 6 virtual machines to see if I can get of proof of concept for a bigger project. In my setup, I have 4 GlusterFS servers with two bricks each of 10GB with XFS (per your quick-start guide). So, I have a total of 8 bricks. When bu

I have no problem with distributed-replicated volumes. However, when I set up a striped replicated volume and mounted it via the native client, I had problems with file operations.

My striped-replicated volume had 8 bricks. I set it up with 4 stripes and 2 replicas. I made sure that no bricks on the same server were in pairs next to each other.  The volume created fine and started fine. "gluster volume info" and "gluster volume status" showed no problems. The volume mounted fine.

I tried to run "dd if=/dev/zero..." to a new file on the volume, and it would fail every time. However, when I would "touch" the file to create it first, dd would work fine afterwards. The same was true with creating a text file with nano. First, the save of a new file would fail, then when re-tried, it would succeed.

The errors I would see in the client log are:

[2012-10-21 19:41:18.974559] E [stripe-helpers.c:268:stripe_ctx_handle] 0-dsr-vol-stripe-0: Failed to get stripe-size
[2012-10-21 19:41:18.975471] W [fuse-bridge.c:2025:fuse_writev_cbk] 0-glusterfs-fuse: 11545: WRITE => -1 (Invalid argument)

Please advise.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Kushnir
System Architect / Engineer
Communications Engineering Branch
Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications
National Library of Medicine

8600 Rockville Pike, Building 38A, Floor 10
Besthesda, MD 20894

Phone: 301-435-3219
Email: michael.kushnir at nih.gov<mailto:michael.kushnir at nih.gov>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CDB123.54A566B0]