[Gluster-users] Normal replication and geo-replication, different animals

whit.gluster at transpect.com whit.gluster at transpect.com
Mon Oct 22 15:16:28 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 08:55:18AM -0600, Israel Shirk wrote:

> I'm simply saying that I keep hearing that Gluster is supposed to work great on
> distributed applications (as in distributed to more than one place), but the
> reality of the situation is that it's really buggy and nobody is willing to
> acknowledge it.  There are big problems with using Gluster in this way, and I
> can't see that being the case when it's being tested for this.

Israel, you need to distinguish between LAN and WAN. Gluster's normal
replication is for LAN. Gluster's geo-replication is for WAN. Now, I don't
know where you "keep hearing that Gluster is supposed to work great" using
normal replication over a WAN. But it's not from anyone close to the
project. So you shouldn't complain to the project about this. You might
suggest a correction to whoever you're hearing it from, though, especially
if they're saying something so misleading in print or a blog where others
may get confused by it.

Best,
Whit