[Gluster-users] File locking

Rohit Singh rxsingh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 17:26:39 UTC 2012

Hi,

Does Gluster provide POSIX compatible file locking transparently with
multiple clients simultaneously trying to lock files on a Gluster share
with the native Gluster client?

A lot of the code in our application framework relies on file locking for
synchronization. I was running across some errors, and wanted to rule out
file locking issues – hence this question.

The gluster documentation mentions a features/posix-locks translator that
should be used for distributed file level locking. This translator can be
added using the config files as shown in the example at
http://gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Translators/features/locks.
However, this method of using config files doesn't seem to be available in
newer versions of Gluster, and I couldn't find an equivalent way of using
this translator using the command line.  Can someone confirm if I need to
use this translator, and how I could enable it with Gluster 3.3?

Thanks,
Rohit