[Gluster-users] EC2 Best Practices

Tom Hall thattommyhall at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 14:09:56 UTC 2012

Hi,

Having a look at
http://gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Getting_started_setup_aws,
there is something I disagree with from an availability standpoint,
the recommendation to use EBS.
I realise that you only get so much storage on an instance and it may
be more expensive to scale out using instance store but in my
experience (3 years in every AZ in every region of AWS) EBS is the
most frequent thing that breaks, worse still outages span AZs. This
lowers the attractiveness of lots of their offerings like RDS etc too
and I think would cause problems for us as gluster users if we adopted
EBS volumes as bricks.

Please let me know if you think my reasoning is off, I'm close to
going into production.

Tom