[Gluster-users] Retraction: Protocol stacking: gluster over NFS

Brian Foster bfoster at redhat.com
Wed Oct 3 12:32:45 UTC 2012

On 10/02/2012 10:51 PM, harry mangalam wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Well, it <http://goo.gl/hzxyw> was too good to be true. Under extreme,
> extended IO on a 48core node, some part of the the NFS stack collapses and
> leads to an IO lockup thru NFS.  We've replicated it on 48core and 64 core
> nodes, but don't know yet whether it acts similarly on lower-core-count nodes.
>
> Tho I haven't had time to figure out exactly /how/ it collapses, I owe it to
> those who might be thinking of using it to tell them not to.

If you are willing and able to do this kind of testing, why not give the
fuse writeback patches a shot?

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.file-systems/65661

My understanding is that they are fundamentally susceptible to the same
kind of problem, but there is an apparent attempt to avoid the deadlock
scenario. The kind of testing you're doing here might be informative as
to how well it works.

Brian