[Gluster-users] Inviting comments on my plans

Fernando Frediani (Qube) fernando.frediani at qubenet.net
Mon Nov 19 17:12:43 UTC 2012

To grow the RAID is relatively simple and you can control how fast you want to rebuild to not impact your performance. You can even put some lines on your crontab to raise or decrease the priority of rebuild using the RAID controller CLI depending on the time. Yes RAID 5 you 'loose' the capacity of a disk, but you have to compromise somewhere. One disk isn't a big deal out of 8 or 12.
If you still decide to go with single disks and no RAID make sure that when a disk fails you won't get anything freezing or locked up until the disk is completely removed and declared dead by the kernel. I never did that myself to say how it will behaviour.

When you grow the RAID by adding more disks you grow the Logical Disk on the Raid controller first, then the partition(s) then the file system.
To be honest by the amount of data that you are talking about you will have I wouldn't even consider add a half populated server to grow later. As you are using small servers (12 slots) just add them fully populated and make the things easy not having to worry about grow RAID, but just replace disk when necessary.

Fernando