[Gluster-users] Inviting comments on my plans

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Mon Nov 19 00:56:36 UTC 2012

On 11/18/12 7:53 PM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> Red Hat does not support upgrades between major versions. Thus Cent OS and
> Scientific don't either. That's a major part of why I generally run Ubuntu
> or Debian instead, except for users who are really wedded to the Red Hat
> way.
I work in an Enterprise environment, and in general once a RHEL release
goes out of support it is time to replace the hardware anyway - We
usually stick to a 4-5yr max lifecycle for hardware, which fits well
with the RedHat 7yr support model. Assuming you are running non-RHEL
software, an upgrade between major versions has to be a complete mess,
if not impossible.

Back to the original posters query - What's your business requirements?
I've learned that if you try to build a solution by putting technology
first it never seems to work well. We don't even know if Gluster is
appropriate for your needs.

David