[Gluster-users] Inviting comments on my plans

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Sun Nov 18 21:58:58 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 09:27:41AM -0700, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> Having half the drives on BTRFS was my primary reason for Fedora.

OK, I understand. You could perhaps look at what the kernel in ubuntu 12.04
LTS is like.  (Note: kernels 3.2.0-30 to -33 have a serious problem with
hotswap locking up the kernel; the patch to fix this should be in the -34
release)

> Upgrading every 6 months sounds like a royal pain, so perhaps I
> won't do Fedora/BTRFS.  Do you happen to know if it will be possible
> to upgrade from CentOS 6 to CentOS 7?  The lack of an upgrade path
> from 5 to 6 has been a major headache.

Sorry I don't; I wasn't even aware that 5 to 6 upgrade was not possible.
However the release schedules of RedHat are such that you're likely to sit
on either 6 or 7 forever.

With a replicated system you could at least shut down one node, reinstall it
from scratch, reinstall the same version of glusterfs, and re-introduce it
to the cluster.