[Gluster-users] Avoid Split-brain and other stuff

Martin Emrich martin.emrich at empolis.com
Fri Nov 16 07:37:01 UTC 2012

Hi!

> It's unidirectional: writes go to master, writes replicate from master to slave.  I
> believe it's basically rsync on steroids (with some help from xattrs to track
> changed files)
>
> Any multi-master replication suffers from exactly the same split-brain
> scenarios as you described earlier.

That would be perfectly acceptable, as long as it would heal deterministically (last one wins, or renamed conflicting files)

> In glusterfs, geo-replication is what you should use for WAN-separated sites.
> Replicated volumes are for LAN scenarios where partitioning (and hence split-
> brain) should not be expected to occur.

Hmm, then I wonder how a high-availability scenario would work, if it is not allowed for a node to go down in a replica-mode setup...

> If this doesn't meet your requirements then glusterfs is not the right tool for
> you.

This would then probably be the case :(
It's a pity, I liked the simplicity and straightforward setup of GlusterFS...

Any recommendations what I should/could try out instead?

Thanks

Martin