[Gluster-users] Switch experiences

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Tue Nov 6 22:21:03 UTC 2012

On 11/05/2012 11:03 AM, Runar Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know what experiences you all have with different
> brands of switches used with Gluster. I don't know why I should buy a
> Cisco or HP premium switch, when all I want is a Gb network. No VPN or
> any advanced features.
> --
> Runar Ingebrigtsen

Things to think about when buying a switch:
Are you going to use link aggregation? Does it support the type of
aggregation you want to use?
Do you need vlan support? How many vlans?
Jumbo frame support is a must.
Does it provide enough bandwidth to support your use? A Level 3 gigabit
switch doesn't just handle 1 gigabit at a time. It should be able to
handle that to/from each port simultaneously.
Buffer memory, especially with jumbo frames, if the switch doesn't have
enough memory to complete the store-and-forward you'll end up with
packet retries.
Warranty - I wouldn't go with any less than 5 years. They must provide
rapid turn-around (I like to call in a bogus support call and see how
it's handled). I also like a warranty that is never needed because the
hardware and software are just that solid.