[Gluster-users] Very slow directory listing and high CPU usage on replicated volume

pkoelle pkoelle at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 10:15:48 UTC 2012

Hi,

from Joe's findings it seems the IO subsystem has little impact on
performance. If a ramdisk doesn't help with small files and directory
listings the problem is probably gluster itself.

That being said IMO this is a general limitation in the design. There is
no central lock manager and last time I checked gluster had to stat() on
each brick to find the most recent entry.
FUSE overhead and context switches make things worse, but to what extent
and which part is responsible for high CPU/high latency is still
unknown. AFAIK noone has measured in detail or the findings where such
that internal policy is not to publish the results.

IIRC there was/is a stat cache translator but that is just a workaround
and will lead to stale data.

cheers
  Paul

--