[Gluster-users] migrating from distribute to replicate - possible?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu May 24 15:05:01 UTC 2012

I have the following gluster setup (distribute):

Type: Distribute
Number of Bricks: 10
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: ca1-int:/data/glusterfs
Brick2: ca2-int:/data/glusterfs
Brick3: ca3-int:/data/glusterfs
Brick4: ca4-int:/data/glusterfs
Brick5: ca5-int:/data/glusterfs
Brick6: ca6-int:/data/glusterfs
Brick7: ca7-int:/data/glusterfs
Brick8: ca8-int:/data/glusterfs
Brick9: ca9-int:/data/glusterfs
Brick10: ca10-int:/data/glusterfs

What would be the easiest way to migrate it to "Replicate" type?

What if I do the following:

- remove all bricks/volume,
- create it from scratch as "replicate" type, and point to the same paths,
- balance / ls -lR.

Am I right to think that it would just copy the missing files from one
server to another, and after some time it would be migrated to
"replicate", with no data loss, and almost no downtime (the downtime
would be just what it takes to remove / readd volume/bricks)?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://www.ptraveler.com