[Gluster-users] How to mount GlusterFS volume on client computer as non-root user?

Pascal pa5ca1 at gmx.de
Thu Mar 29 14:53:55 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

I have a question or more precisely a problem. I am trying to
mount a GlusterFS volume on a client computer as non-root user, but
without success.

The client computer uses Ubuntu 11.10, the glusterfs-client and
glusterfs-common packages are installed, also the fuse-utils package
and fuse module is loaded. The non-root user was also added to the
group fuse.

Mounting the GlusterFS volume with root permissions (sudo) everything
works fine:
$ sudo mount.glusterfs
192.168.122.30:/gluster-distributed-replicated /media/gluster

Log file:
http://pastebin.com/E3RVZfKv

Using the same command without sudo I am not able to mount the volume:
$ mount.glusterfs
192.168.122.30:/gluster-distributed-replicated /media/gluster

Log file:
http://pastebin.com/7dEZ54dv

Should it be possible to mount a GlusterFS volume as non-root user or
am I trying something totally senseless?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Pascal