[Gluster-users] replicated-striped volume growing question

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Sat Mar 17 21:06:03 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 03:14:27PM -0300, Juan wrote:
> If I build a replicated-striped volume (one replica and one stripe)

AFAIK, the current production glusterfs doesn't support replicated striped
volumes. This is due to be added in 3.3 (now in beta):

http://community.gluster.org/q/what-s-new-in-glusterfs-3-3/

Of course, a replicated *distributed* volume exists. The difference is that
a distributed volume puts each file entirely on one disk of the set, whilst
a striped volume puts chunks of each files on each disk.

> when I want to grow that volume I can grow it adding one brick and its
> replica or I have to add the stripe and Its replica also?

I don't really understand the question. For a replicated distributed volume
where the data is replicated N times, you have to add N bricks at a time; I
would imagine the same will be true of a replicated striped volume.