[Gluster-users] Usage Case: just not getting the performance I was hoping for

D. Dante Lorenso dante at lorenso.com
Fri Mar 16 19:02:26 UTC 2012

On 3/16/12 10:30 AM, Marcus Bointon wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2012, at 00:33, David Coulson wrote:
>
>> Is there a FAQ/document somewhere with optimal mkfs and mount options for ext4 and xfs? Is xfs still the 'desired' filesystem for gluster bricks?
>
> Something that I think would really help gluster is to have an online configuration builder along the lines of Percona's MySQL config wizard: http://tools.percona.com/wizard
> I think there are a lot of parallels: a large number of (often underdocumented) variables, but some common usage scenarios.

I'm really hoping for something like a pfSense distro that wraps gluster
up in a nice web GUI.  It'd be great to have an appliance-like OS that
just works out of the box with a couple clicks.  But that takes time, I
understand, ... and I'll be patient :-)

Meanwhile, I'm gonna keep working with Gluster and see if I can get the
performance.  Recently I converted to using Linux Raid 10 on 4 1TB
drives and now I'm getting 310 MB/s write speed to my brick using "dd"
test.  That's looking better and getting closer to maxing out a 1GbE
link.  I need to put gluster on top of this and see if I can continue
the throughput all the way to the client mount.

As another test, I'm planning to buy some 480 GB SSD drives which can do
300+ MB/s each.  I'm thinking if I build a Raid 10 configuration with
those, I might be able to push upwards of 1000+ MB/s.  Then, let Gluster
and/or Samba sit on top of that and we'll see what's what.

-- Dante

D. Dante Lorenso
dante at lorenso.com