[Gluster-users] Write performance in a replicated/distributed setup with KVM?

Harald Hannelius harald.hannelius at arcada.fi
Fri Mar 2 12:41:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012, Brian Candler wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 01:02:39PM +0200, Harald Hannelius wrote:
>>> If both are fast: then retest using a two-node replicated volume.
>>
>> gluster volume create test replica 2 transport tcp
>> aethra:/data/single alcippe:/data/single
>>
>> Volume Name: test
>> Type: Replicate
>> Number of Bricks: 2
>> Transport-type: tcp
>> Bricks:
>> Brick1: aethra:/data/single
>> Brick2: alcippe:/data/single
>>
>> # time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=20000 of=/mnt/testfile
>> 20000+0 records in
>> 20000+0 records out
>> 20971520000 bytes (21 GB) copied, 426.62 s, 49.2 MB/s
>>
>> real	7m6.625s
>> user	0m0.040s
>> sys	0m12.293s
>>
>> As expected, roughly half of the single node setup. I could live
>> with that too.
>
> So next is back to the four-node setup you had before. I would expect that
> to perform about the same.

So would I expect too. But;

# time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=20000 of=/gluster/testfile
20000+0 records in
20000+0 records out
20971520000 bytes (21 GB) copied, 1058.22 s, 19.8 MB/s

real	17m38.357s
user	0m0.040s
sys	0m12.501s

# gluster volume info

Volume Name: virtuals
Type: Distributed-Replicate
Number of Bricks: 2 x 2 = 4
Transport-type: tcp
Bricks:
Brick1: adraste:/data/brick
Brick2: alcippe:/data/brick
Brick3: aethra:/data/brick
Brick4: helen:/data/brick
Options Reconfigured:
cluster.data-self-heal-algorithm: diff
cluster.self-heal-window-size: 1
performance.io-thread-count: 64
performance.cache-size: 536870912
performance.write-behind-window-size: 16777216
performance.flush-behind: on

At the same time nagios tries to empty my cell phone battery when virtual
hosts don't respond to ping anymore. That virtual host is a mailserver and
it receives e-mail. I guess that sendmail+procmail+imapd generates some I/O.

At least I got double figure readings this time. Sometimes I get write
speeds of 5-6 MB/s.

--

Harald Hannelius | harald.hannelius/a\arcada.fi | +358 50 594 1020