[Gluster-users] about HA infrastructure for hypervisors

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Thu Jun 28 15:40:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012, Brian Candler wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 05:28:43PM -0500, Nathan Stratton wrote:
>> [root at virt01 ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=foo bs=1M count=5k
>> 5120+0 records in
>> 5120+0 records out
>> 5368709120 bytes (5.4 GB) copied, 26.8408 s, 200 MB/s
>>
>>> But doing a dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024k within a VM, whose image was mounted on
>>> glusterfs, I was getting only 6-25MB/s.
>>
>> [root at test ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=foo bs=1M count=5k
>> 5120+0 records in
>> 5120+0 records out
>> 5368709120 bytes (5.4 GB) copied, 172.706 s, 31.1 MB/s
>
> That's what I consider unimpressive - slower than a single disk, when you
> have an array of 16.  I should try a pair of drbd nodes as a fair comparison
> though.

But wait, yes, I have 16 physical disks, but I am running distribute +
replicate so the 8 physical boxes are broken up into 4 pairs of redundant
boxes. When I do a write, I am writing on two servers, or 4 physical
disks. So in my case, 31.1 MB/s vs about 200 MB/s native is not that bad.

DRDB is MUCH faster, but your not comparing apples to apples. DRBD has
worked great for me in the past when I only needed two storage nodes to be
mirrored in active/active, but as soon as you grow past that you need to
look at something like Gluster. With GlusterFS my single write is slower
at 31.1 MB/s, but I can do that many many more times over my 8 nodes
without losing I/O.

> Having said that, multiple clients running concurrently should be able to
> use the remaining bandwidth, so the aggregate throughput should be fine.

Correct.

><>
Nathan Stratton
nathan at robotics.net