[Gluster-users] Can't run KVM Virtual Machines on a Gluster volume

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Mon Jun 25 07:57:09 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 08:16:47PM +0000, Fernando Frediani (Qube) wrote:
>    I just built a 2 node(4 bricks), Distributed-Replicated and everything
>    mounts fine.
>
>    Each node mounts using GlusterFS client on its hostname (mount –t
>    glusterfs hostname:VOLUME /virtual-machines)
>
>    When creating a new Virtual Machine using virt-manager it creates the
>    file on the storage, but when trying to power it On, it doesn’t work
>    and gives back an error message.(See below. Yes the folder has full
>    permission to All to write.)

Failing to access something, when the something has permissions, usually
implies a problem with apparmor / SElinux.

If this is an Ubuntu platform, then use libvirt to start the VM (i.e. define
it using an XML file), and it should automatically create an apparmor policy
dynamically.  Otherwise, try turning off apparmor / SElinux temporarily to
see whether or that's the problem.  You could also try mounting your volume
directly onto /var/lib/libvirt/images.

>    Has anyone actually was able to run it fine  on Gluster 3.3

I have. Ubuntu 12.04.