[Gluster-users] how to enable nufa in 3.2.6

Frank Sonntag f.sonntag at metocean.co.nz
Tue Jun 19 01:38:36 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I want to enable the NUFA translator on a distributed volume and I am
uncertain about the correct way of doing this.
As far as I can tell it's not possible to use the gluster CLI to either
specify the translator when creating the volume or change the volume to use
this translator after creating it.
I've found a few examples for NUFA configurations, but unfortunately they
either do not specify the name of the configuration file to edit, or the name
does not match the file names on my system.
I ended up changing the files /etc/glusterd/vols/run-fuse.vol on both servers
(which are also clients) adding in a sub-volume (run being the name of the
volume). I added the nufa volume and disabled the dht volume (see below).

My first question is: is this the correct way of making configuration changes?

The second issue is that the NUFA volume does not actually work. I can mount
it and use it, but after writing a few files to the volume on both clients, I
end up with empty files on the remote server:

[root at server02 vols]# ls -l /local/run/
total 0
---------T 1 root root 0 Jun 13 12:19 FILE-1

Is there something wrong with my NUFA configuration?

Changes I made to the volume configuration files:
#volume run-dht
#    type cluster/distribute
#    subvolumes run-client-0 run-client-1
#end-volume

volume run-nufa
  type cluster/nufa
  subvolumes run-client-0 run-client-1
  option scheduler nufa
  option lookup-unhashed yes
  option local-volume-name run-client-0
# the following on the other server:
# option local-volume-name run-client-1
  option limits.min-free-disk 5%
end-volume

volume run-write-behind
    type performance/write-behind
#    subvolumes run-dht
    subvolumes run-nufa
end-volume

On each server the volume was mounted using:
mount -t glusterfs localhost:/run /run

There are already a number of volumes set up on the system which consists of 6
machines. Let me know if you need more information about those.

Many thanks,
Frank