[Gluster-users] Not real confident in 3.3

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Sun Jun 17 12:26:34 UTC 2012

On 6/17/12 8:21 AM, Sean Fulton wrote:
> This was a Linux-HA cluster with a floating IP that the clients would
> mount off of whichever server is active. So I set up a two-node
> replicated cluster, which the floating IP and heartbeat, and the
> client mounted the drive over the floating IP. I'm using the NFS
> server built into gluster. So rpcbind and nfslock are running on the
> server, but not nfs. The client writes to the one server with the
> floating IP, and gluster takes care of keeping the volume in sync
> between the two servers. I thought that was the way to do it.
It has never been clear to me how well you can fail over a NFS mount
using a floating IP address, especially with the Gluster NFS server. I
typically install gluster on the client and have it mount
localhost:/whatever and all the brick routing is handles locally. Not
practical with a lot of clients, but it's a simpler configuration in a
smaller environment.

If it makes you feel better, I'm in the process of restoring a
production SVN repo because Gluster 3.2.5 ate it after a node reboot
last night. Not had time to dig through the logs in detail, but it seems
like a self-heal from a 4-way replica did something wrong.