[Gluster-users] Gluster NFS performance issue upgrading from 3.2.5 to 3.2.6/3.3.0

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Tue Jun 12 01:45:02 UTC 2012

For what it is worth, I had weird performance issues when I moved from
3.2.5 to 3.3.0 - I saw increased CPU utilization, as well as drastically
increased network utilization between the nodes with the same workload.
I could never really quantify the difference, other than I noticed my
systems mounting the volumes via NFS had more problems when a brick went
offline in an unclean way (e.g. network disappeared). I have six nodes
which run 4-way or 2-way replicas and mount the volumes locally, so it's
a pretty self-contained configuration.

Today I rolled back to 3.2.5 and ran for ~8hours. My traffic dropped
back to what it looked like previously, and my load dropped to next to
nothing. I just upgraded to 3.2.7, and at least in the last couple of
hours network utilization is about the same as 3.3.0. CPU usage is
actually worse with 3.2.7 than 3.3.0.

Does anyone have a 'good' test of Gluster performance? Most of my
operations take <10s, so when they take 5.4s avg with 3.3.0 after 100
runs, and avg 4.6s with 3.2.5 it's hard to tell if it's a meaningful 15%
or bad statistics. I'd like to understand what is different between
3.2.5 and 3.3.0 or 3.2.7, but really need a good way to quantify it.