[Gluster-users] glusterfs volume as a massively shared storage for VM images

Christian Parpart trapni at gentoo.org
Mon Jun 11 00:10:45 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I am looking for a solution, like, I hope Glusterfs can fit into it, that
is,
something that allows me to do live migrations of virtual machines from one
compute node to another (KVM, OpenStack).

And so I found an article about the Glusterfs-OpenStack-Connector, which
was just a basic Glusterfs setup that shared the /var/lib/nova/instances
directory across all compute nodes. This is necessary to allow virtual
machines to migrate within milliseconds from one compute node to another,
as all nodes already share every data.

Now my question is, how well does Glusterfs scale when you're having about
50+ compute nodes (on which you're about to run virtual machines). What
kind of setup would you recommend, to actually not suffer in runtime
performance, networking iops, nor in availability.

Many thanks in advance,
Christian Parpart.