[Gluster-users] Striped replicated volumes in Gluster 3.3.0

Amar Tumballi amarts at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 02:50:40 UTC 2012

On 06/04/2012 11:21 AM, Amar Tumballi wrote:
> On 06/01/2012 10:18 PM, Travis Rhoden wrote:
>> Did an answer to Christian's question pop up? I was going to write in
>> with the exact same one.
>>
>> If I created a replicated striped volume, what would keep it from
>> working in a non-Hadoop environment? Does the NFS server refuse to
>> export such a volume? Does the FUSE client refuse to mount such a volume?
>>
>> I read through the docs and found the following phrase: "In this
>> release, configuration of this volume type is supported only for Map
>> Reduce workloads."
>> What does that mean exactly? Hopefully not, that I'm unable to store
>> my KVM images on it?

Hi,

Striped-Replicated Volumes can be created like any other volume type
with GlusterFS-3.3.0. It is not restricted to be exported with NFS or
FUSE. It would still work with non-Hadoop environment.

The statement is the documentation is because of what we tested the type
of volume with. Considering the other type of volumes, Striped-Replicate
volume has been tested only with Hadoop workload as of now.

You can use striped-replicate volume, but have a test run for some time
before putting into production. If it works for you, we can say that
feature is good, but if there are issues, we are glad to fix it and make
it more stable.

Regards,
Amar