[Gluster-users] "Granular locking" - does this need to be enabled in 3.3.0 ?

Samuli Heinonen samppah at neutraali.net
Fri Jul 20 15:48:28 UTC 2012

> 3) sanlock configured (this is evil!)

Just out of curiosity, can you please tell more why it is evil? I just
found it out after your first post and want to know if there's any
gotchas :)

> Though it doesn't corrupt data, the I/O performance is < 1% of my
> hardwares capability. Hopefully work on buffering and other tuning
> will fix this ? Or maybe the work mentioned getting qemu talking
> directly to gluster will fix this?

Have you tried setting performance.client-io-threads on if it makes any
difference?

As a side note I have to say that I have seen similar problems with
RAID-5 systems even when using them as non-replicated iSCSI target. In
my experience it's definetly not good for hosting VM images.

-samuli