[Gluster-users] Setting up a new gluster volume using a block device

Sallee, Stephen (Jake) Jake.Sallee at umhb.edu
Thu Jul 19 17:16:14 UTC 2012

I am new to gluster so please be a bit patient with me.

I am trying to setup a gluster volume with the bricks being /dev/sdb1 (or /dev/sdb, I have tried both) ... etc. however I get an error message and the operation fails.  I do not have the error message (sorry!) the only brick I have available for testing is tied up at the moment so I cant rerun the test to get the exact error.  If I can I will post it later.

However if I mount the partition I am able to create the volume no problem.  I have read the admin guide several times but cannot find any reference to using a block device only a mounted device.

Is it even possible, or am I crazy for even trying?

Jake Sallee
Godfather of Bandwidth
System Engineer
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor