[Gluster-users] Distributed replicated volume

Harry Mangalam hjmangalam at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 20:14:39 UTC 2012

I think the strong consensus of gluster users would be that this is
the wrong filesystem to use for what you propose.  gluster has a lot
to rec it but using it for mail or other ZOTfiles (Zillions Of
Tinyfiles) will bring nothing but astonishingly poor performance,
tearing of hair, rending of clothes, pain, and heartbreak.

hjm

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta
<gandalf.corvotempesta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> i'm planning to develop a 4 node distributed replicated infrastructure with
> Gluster 3.3
> I'll use 4 DELL R510 with 8x 2TB SATA disks each, giving us 32TB raw
> redundant and distributed capacity.
>
> Some questions:
>  - in the near future we will add 2 other identical nodes, will be possibile
> to extend the gluster volume going up to 32+16GB or raw capacity?
>
>  - What do you suggest, RAID5 or no-raid (one disk for each brick)? Our
> primary use will be mail and web servers, so many small files.
>
> Any other advice?

Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, OIT, Rm 225 MSTB, UC Irvine
[m/c 2225] / 92697 Google Voice Multiplexer: (949) 478-4487
415 South Circle View Dr, Irvine, CA, 92697 [shipping]
MSTB Lat/Long: (33.642025,-117.844414) (paste into Google Maps)