[Gluster-users] Monitor replicated Gluster setup ?

Mark Nipper nipsy at bitgnome.net
Thu Jul 12 09:17:46 UTC 2012

On 12 Jul 2012, Brian Candler wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 07:38:18AM +0000, Stefan Schloesser wrote:
> > The reason for the ip switch is the apache: if one fails the other should
> > take other the workload and continue operation, this is done via the ip
> > switch.
>
> Then that's just switching the public IP which apache listens on, and is
> nothing to do with glusterfs.  Both servers can have the glusterfs volume
> mounted all the time.

	As Brian said, the shared IP here for Apache is
independent of Gluster in this particular configuration.  I would
recommend something lightweight like UCARP so you can avoid
running any of the Linux cluster stack pieces:
---
http://www.pureftpd.org/project/ucarp

	You're already attempting to avoid the cluster stuff
anyway and keep things simple by using Gluster.  No point in
adding all the HA bloat now just to balance an IP address.  And
UCARP can do that for you!  And don't forget to give a nod to the
OpenBSD developers who make such wonderful technology in the
first place.

	Now if only we could get PF into Linux!  :)

--
Mark Nipper
nipsy at bitgnome.net (XMPP)