[Gluster-users] Recovering a broken distributed volume

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Jul 11 21:01:45 UTC 2012

On 11.07.2012 22:37, Mailing Lists wrote:
> I had that some years ago on two servers at a customer's office, 2 disks in each in raid 1 so 4 disks. Same series ... failing in the same afternoon after 10 months of service !

I can only repeat myself: Most people argue "but its two devices, its
statistically independent".

Well, two devices(*) manufactured at the same time and on the same
assembly line (preferably with consecutive serial numbers), running the
same firmware-version, bought at the same time, used in the same array
with the same external stress and the same usage patterns. Even all my
non-mathematical-non-informatics friends know that this isn't what you
call "statistically independent".

(*) Doesn't matter if its disks or switches or motherboards or
processors or memory chips or power supplies or ups or backplanes or
power-distribution-boards. If you "remove" your spof by using two of the
exact same kind, statistics (and sad experience) say that its still a spof.

So, subs (or is it "Mailing Lists":) and probably Brian, thanks for
another data-point of this never-happens-in-real-life-scenario. We feel
with you for such scenarios.

Have fun,

Arnold
--
Dieses Email wurde elektronisch erstellt und ist ohne handschriftliche
Unterschrift gültig.