[Gluster-users] 3.1.5 to 3.3.0 upgrade question

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Mon Jul 2 15:18:45 UTC 2012

Hi,

We've several systems running 3.1.5 since it was new, happily without
incident. The time has come to upgrade to 3.3.0, so I want to make sure I
have the instructions right to minimize downtime. From here:

  http://gluster.org/community/documentation//index.php/Main_Page

I'm sent to here:

  http://vbellur.wordpress.com/2012/05/31/upgrading-to-glusterfs-3-3/

which has as its most recent comment:

  Hi, I tried to upgrade from 3.2.1 to 3.3.0. It looked fine at first sight.
  But I found that adding new 3.3.0 nodes to the upgraded cluster fails.
  It’s probably because 3.2.1′s volume config lacks “username/password”
  authentication entries in “info” and “…vol”. My workaround is:....

Which has me thinking If this is a problem for 3.2.x, it's probably a
problem for 3.1.x. Since the workaround suggested isn't fully specified
-- "Modify above files by hand (adding username/password auth entries.)"
doesn't lead to a complete picture of what the modifications should look
like -- I'd like to ask Is it the general case that this step will be
needed? If so, what's the complete description of what to do there?

Thanks,
Whit