[Gluster-users] gluster + firefox/sqlite

Matt Cowan cowan at bnl.gov
Fri Jan 6 22:17:02 UTC 2012

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012, Harshavardhana wrote:
> Users have mounted /home for years now, its nothing new.

I was dying to use it for home for it's replication capability, but
ran into issues with locking and sockets when using nfs clients.

I have 2 systems I've been able to do tests on; everything's
Scientific Linux 6.1:

client1 (nfs):
firefox-3.6.24-3.el6_1.x86_64

homedir serverpair1 (replicate):
glusterfs-{core,fuse}-3.2.5-2.el6.x86_64 (from gluster.org)

client2 (nfs or gluster native):
same as client1 plus:
glusterfs-{,fuse}3.2.5-4.el6.x86_64 (from epel-testing)

homedir servercluster2 (distribute):
glusterfs-{core,fuse}-3.2.4-1.x86_64 (from gluster.org)

on client1, with nfs homedir on serverpair1, firefox takes *forever* to
startup.  An strace shows it's hanging up getting various locks
(sqlite stuff and others).  And when it finally does start, it pops up
a red banner saying:

    "The bookmarks and history system will not be functional because
    one of Firefox's files is in use by another application.  Some
    security software can cause this problem"

Interestingly, this does not happen on client 2 with nfs homedir on servercluster2,
which is running a slightly older version of gluster.

And sockets get created as pipes!?! and fail to function.

$ mksock testsock
$ ls -al testsock
prwxrwxr-x. 1 glustertest glustertest 0 Jan  6 14:13 testsock
^
This happens in both nfs homedir setups.

On client2, with a native gluster homedir from server2, everything
works fine.  I would go native everywhere, but it would be painful to
maintain on some legacy systems, I think I read 32bit systems aren't
really supported(?), and I'd like to avoid all the clients doubling
their homedir io.

-matt