[Gluster-users] "Structure needs cleaning" error

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 14:59:16 UTC 2012

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 13:10:06 -0500
Joe Landman <landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:

> On 02/26/2012 12:54 PM, Patrick Haley wrote:
> > If I go to that directory and simply do an ls *.png I get
> >
> > ls: BalbacFull_250_200_03Mar_3.png: Structure needs cleaning
>
> This is usually what happens when you have an underlying xfs file
> system as your backing store, and have had a failure which has shut
> the xfs file system down.

Actually this error (EUCLEAN) is used in a couple of places in the
GlusterFS code.  Specifically it's used as an initial status when AFR
is setting up a structure to track locking state as part of our
replication protocol, and if nothing comes along to change that status
it could "leak" to the caller.  I saw this when I was hacking on
replication code, so in that case it was my own fault, but it's not
inconceivable that there's another path which could trigger it.

Still, though, the XFS explanation seems more likely.  I'd pursue that
first.