[Gluster-users] "Structure needs cleaning" error

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Sun Feb 26 18:10:06 UTC 2012

On 02/26/2012 12:54 PM, Patrick Haley wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have recently upgraded our gluster to 3.2.5 and have
> encountered the following error.  Gluster seems somehow
> confused about one of the files it should be serving up,
> specifically
> /projects/philex/PE/2010/Oct18/arch07/BalbacFull_250_200_03Mar_3.png
>
> If I go to that directory and simply do an ls *.png I get
>
> ls: BalbacFull_250_200_03Mar_3.png: Structure needs cleaning

This is usually what happens when you have an underlying xfs file system
as your backing store, and have had a failure which has shut the xfs
file system down.

Have a look in dmesg for the servers, and see if xfs has shut down.

Reasons for xfs shutdown include a) bugs in xfs/kernel, b) storage
device/RAID failure.

Our experience is that "b" happens far more often than "a", though "a"
does happen (especially on some kernels).

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com