[Gluster-users] Exorbitant cost to achieve redundancy??

Jeff White jaw171 at pitt.edu
Tue Feb 14 17:02:29 UTC 2012

The replica design of GlusterFS looks expensive but compared to some
vendor solutions it is often still cheaper to have N+N servers and disks
in a GlusterFS replica volume with a count of 2 than it is to go with
the same usable amount of storage with other highly-available
solutions.  It sure would be nice if GlusterFS supported N+1 or N+2
servers/bricks instead of just N+N or N+N+N similar to RAID5/6 but I
don't know if such a design is feasible.  Even if it was, I'm not
confident the performance would be acceptable.  Higher performance with
replica is something I really want but doesn't appear to be a major goal
right now.

I'm currently fighting to get GlusterFS replica in an HPC environment
but the "wasting half the space" argument is hard to fight when there's
a tight budget.  There really is no waste at all, the space is being
used for full server redundancy (IMHO you need server redundancy, not
just disk redundancy) and in some use-cases, increased performance (in
other use-cases replica is slower).

Does anyone think that an N+1 style server redundancy could ever be
implemented and be reliable?

Jeff White - Linux/Unix Systems Engineer
University of Pittsburgh - CSSD