[Gluster-users] Performance question

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Mon Feb 13 14:07:53 UTC 2012

Hi,

thanks for your answer and sorry for the probably broken thread. My Kmail2
seems to contain some bugs regarding mail-headers when using filtering...

On  00:00:00 you wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:37:10AM +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > 1) two nodes, two bricks, 2) two nodes, four bricks and 3) three
> > nodes, 6bricks.
>
> Are these distributed only, or replicated?

Two bricks: replicated.
Four and six bricks: replicated+distributed.

> If I understand it right (and I'm quite new to gluster myself), whenever you
> do a read on a replicated volume, gluster dispatches the operation to both
> nodes, waits for both results to come back, and checks they are the same
> (and if not, works out which is wrong and kicks off a self-heal operation)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsgtE7Ph2_k
>
> And of course, writes have to be dispatched to both nodes, and won't
> complete until the slowest has finished.  This may be the reason for your
> poor latency.

I understand that writes have to happen on all (running) replicas and only
return when the last finished (like the C-protocol with drbd). But reads can
(and should) happen from the nearest only. Or from the fastest. With two nodes
you can't decide which node has the 'true' data except to check for the
attributes. But for content reading you would have to have three replica or
checksums...

> I don't know how dbench operates - is it entirely single-threaded or does it
> attempt to run concurrent operations to simulate concurrent clients?  I
> would except to get higher throughput in the latter case.

dbench is the filesystem-part of a samba-server with N clients doing typical
windows-users stuff. So dbench with one client is single-threaded (actually
single-processed) afaik. So running with more simulated clients is multiple
processes accessing lots of files for lots of operations. A far better
indicator of fs-performance then a simple dd on a big file...

> > I find it remarkable that the local disk is faster by a factor of two in
> > throughput and faster by a factor of ten(!) in latency.
> As well as trying non-replicated gluster, I think you should try NFS as a
> baseline for what dbench might be able to achieve on a network-attached
> filesystem.

NFS on these nodes is limited by the Gigabit-Network-Performance and the disk
and results in min(120MBit, ~100MBit) from network and disk.
But I will run dbench on the nfs shares (without gluster) this evening.

> As Scotty used to say, "ya canna change the laws of physics", or something
> like that.

Thats why I did the local-disk tests for the same graph. And Scotty is
actually the guy who did bent the laws of physics quite a lot:-P

Have fun,

Arnold