[Gluster-users] Would difference in size (and content) of a file on replicated bricks be healed?

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Mon Feb 6 15:12:36 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 08:28:55PM +0530, Pranith Kumar K wrote:

>      Modifying the data directly on the brick in a replica
> pair(Brick A, Brick B) is a bad thing because it will not be
> possible to decide in which direction to heal the contents of the
> file B -> A or A -> B. If the file is modified from the mount point
> then the glusterfs client marks the extended attributes so that it
> knows in which direction to heal the files.

Thanks Pranith. I take it then that if there is corruption of a file due to,
say, a degraded disk on one side of a replica pair that gluster has no way
to spot and heal this? There's nothing built in (such as a stored CRC value)
by which it could conclude "Brick A's file is corrupted, so I'll restore it
from Brick B"?

I'm not say there should be. It could be useful if there was, but might also
require too much overhead and be outside gluster's proper scope. I'm just
curious.

Whit