[Gluster-users] mount glusterfs: ports

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Mon Dec 31 06:09:05 UTC 2012

On 12/30/2012 09:32 PM, Jay Vyas wrote:
> Regarding the error message---
>
> Why would gluster "fail to get a port number for a remote subvolume?"
>  Where is the port number being "gotten" from? Isn't it simply
> hardcoded into the mount command?
>

> On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM, <jayunit100 at gmail.com
> <mailto:jayunit100 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     The following command
>
>     mount -t glusterfs domU-12-31-39-00-A5-7B:111:PetShop /mnt/petshop
>
>     fails.  Luckily, I found that under /var/log/glusterfs there is a
>     specific log file for this mount operation:
>
>     It appears that its related to the "port number".
>
>     [root at domU-12-31-39-00-A5-7B ~]# tail
>     /var/log/glusterfs/mnt-petshop.log
>     [2012-12-30 20:44:17.509907] E
>     [client-handshake.c:1717:client_query_portmap_cbk]
>     0-PetShop-client-1: failed to get the port number for remote subvolume
>
>     I have several questions on this subject:
>
>     1) How can I know *what port *my gluster server is using?
>     2) Can I mount a gluster server as localhost (i.e.
>     *localhost:PetShop* or 127.0.0.1:PetShop) ?
>     3) Is it possible using a command similar to "*gluster volume
>     info*" to show the *ports* that Bricks are serving on?

If you'll refer to my previous reply, 24007 (and maybe 24008) are the
management daemon (glusterd) ports. The glusterfs client calls the
management daemon for the volume configuration. Once retrieved, the
client then connects to all of the bricks (glusterfsd) defined in that
configuration. The brick ports vary depending on how many volumes exist
and how many bricks but are within the range I specified previously.