[Gluster-users] how well will this work

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Thu Dec 27 20:36:16 UTC 2012

Dear JM,

unfortunately one has to tell openly that the whole concept that is tried here
is simply wrong. The problem is not the next-bug-to-fix. The problem is the
client strategy in user space. It is broken by design. You can either believe
this or go ahead ignoring it and never really get a good and stable setup.
Really, the whole we-close-our-eyes-and-hope-it-will-turn-out-well strategy
looks just like btrfs. Read the archives, I told them years ago it will not
work out in our life time. And today, still they have no ready-for-production
fs, and believe me: it never will be there.
And the same goes for glusterfs. It _could_ be the greatest fs on earth, but
only if you accept:

1) Throw away all non-linux code. Because this war is over since long.
2) Make a kernel based client/server implementation. Because it is the only
way to acceptable performance.
3) Implement true undelete feature. Make delete a move to a deleted-files area.

These are the minimal steps to take for a real success, everything else is
just beating the dead horse.

Regards,
Stephan