[Gluster-users] CIFS options - anyone done A-B comparisons on various setups?

Gunnar gluster at akitogo.com
Wed Dec 19 15:14:09 UTC 2012

The problem was not the open file limit. If I locally mount on a brick a
nfs share and use it
with Samba it is not stable. I had a crash after copying 800,000 files,
I tried a few
times with no lock, it always crashed.

The most annoying thing is that I didn't find anything in the logs,
finally I found this article:
http://community.gluster.org/a/nfs-performance-with-fuse-client-redundancy/

After reading it I have setup a new machine, mounted the nfs share:
mount -o vers=3,nolock -t nfs gluster01.mydomain.local:/gv01 /mnt/nfsgv01
Installed Samba and set the path in smb.conf to path = /mnt/nfsgv01

As well I increased:
gluster volume set gv01 performance.write-behind-window-size 16mb

Now I'm able to copy around 2,4 million files without any problem, it is
a bit slower
than the first approach but still ok.

I hope that it will stay stable, I will store a few million files more
on it and see what will
happen.

Gunnar