[Gluster-users] [Linux-cachefs] [Gluster-devel] Can I use FSCache/Cachefiles with Gluster Native Client mode?

Suresh Jayaraman sjayaraman at suse.com
Thu Dec 6 09:17:58 UTC 2012

On 12/06/2012 12:24 AM, Anand Avati wrote:
> I believe FSCache must first be implemented in FUSE before any userspace
> filesystem (like GlusterFS) can make use of it?

Sounds about right to me.  Then, FUSE can ask FS-Cache to store / fetch
data on behalf of Glusterfs.

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:29 AM, 吴巍 <wuwei.tsh at gmail.com
> <mailto:wuwei.tsh at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     __
>     Now I'm sure that Gluster FS native client don't support FSCache.

But wait, why do you really need FS-Cache in your case? If improving
(re)-read performance is what matters to you, have you already taken a
look at the IO-Cache translator the Glusterfs provides?

Do you have a really slow network? Do you intend to keep your cache on
an SSD?
Note that FS-Cache/Cachefiles is not supposed to improve performance for
all kinds of workloads.

May be one way to know if your workload can benefit with FS-Cache or not is:
   - enable FS-Cache in NFS and try accessing the Gluster namespace via NFS
   - compare its performance with FS-Cache on NFS disabled

--
Suresh Jayaraman